Monday, January 31, 2011

Dear Fam,

Great to hear all the news from last week. When I get back I can't wait to see all the new places...and new kids! This week I think i'll start of by answering a few questions. I continue to read the Book of Mormon the New Testament and Preach my Gospel! President Smith is ok if we read other things but he has really encouraged us to master these three things. Every one here in Ghana is very religious as you already know but the more we know the scripture and understand the principles in preach my gospel in and out the simpler we will be able to teach and help people understand the basics!

Another thing I want to add while I am on this subject of teaching the basics is almost every single person we teach we have to use Pres Smiths "Teaching Techniques" which are:
  1. Ask inspired Questions
  2. Listen to investigator and Spirit
  3. Discern spiritual Direction
  4. Teach the Doctrine (SMALL)
  5. Check Understanding
I Love these Principles! These are not something we just learned on mission but I learned them in the beginning, but I realized I never said anything about them. Apart from speaking in a thick accent you have to do these things for almost any Ghanaian to understand because they can get lost so quickly in what we are sharing with them. I am yet to have been able go though a whole lesson because we really have to take it slow for them to understand.

This month we set our Goal for five more to be baptized and we have twelve with a date. We give out dates like crazy but so many of those are not serious, I bet we give out four or five dates to every one person that is baptized. Another reason is because so many people have problems that arise. I'll speak more about it next week because my time is finished but Elder Oaks is coming in Feb. to address many of the Cultural practices the keep people from keeping Gods Commandments, Especially preventing marriage.

Anyways please keep Pedro, Abdule, Rose, Godwin, Victor & Unis in your Prayers!

Love- Elder L.

No comments:

Post a Comment